Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Labor Day Weekend

Jim got a chance to practise Spray Paint Art again. He's getting really good at it!

Johnny and Kyle helped me to find just the right cake topper for Jacques cake.

This weekend was filled with fun, relaxing, and some errands. Saturday we got a call at 5PM from some friends that asked us to come over for a swim and bbq. I said "You mean right now?" and she responded with a "yes now". Since spontaneous is our favorite way to live our lives I got Jim and the boys out of our pool and threw a change of clothes in a bag for later and it was not long until we were at our friends house. It was like being on vacation at their house. Their backyard and pool was gorgeous, the food fantastic, and at night they lit tikki lights, candles, and had colored lights flashing on the pool. The boys really loved it too and swam until late into the night. Afterwards we put on movies for the boys and the grown ups got to indulge in a bunch of fun games (for our game fanatic friends we played: Catch Phrase, Apples to Apples, and Pit). We had so much fun that we had to force ourselves to leave at 1AM!
Sunday we had our Earthquake excitement. In the afternoon Jim went to Sam's club to do our grocery shopping but it was closed because it had no electricity (can you imagine how much money they lost day before Labor Day?). We watched movies at night, including one I'll share with you about in another post because it was good enough to deserve it's own post!
Monday was filled with mostly errands. We finally got to do our Sam's Club shopping, buy the kids some shoes, and get cake baking and decorating supplies. Tomorrow is Jacques birthday and Friday is Johnny's so today I will be busy baking Jacques cake. I'm excited about it because this will be Jacques 1st birthday that we have known we are a family. I'm going to attempt to personally make his cake (even if he can't eat any of it). We got a birthday present to him from Kez taking it to Haiti recently. She said he set it aside and was going to wait until his birthday to open it. I was very pleased to hear that.

Last night Jim bbq'd steaks. I made a giant salad and we had very fresh baked french bread that I had unknowingly won for free. I was at the bakery department getting a "sample" cookie for the kids. While we waited there was a man next to us picking up a cake that stood right next to us YELLING in to his phone (does this bug anyone else, because I think it's totally rude.) I guess while our boys were getting their cookies and the man was yelling in his phone the store made an announcement that they had fresh baked bread in their bakery and the 1st 3 people to ask will receive a free loaf. I didn't hear any of this announcement but I was in the bakery to pick up French Bread. Right behind the bakery counter they had a cart full of french bread we could smell and I knew they had just finished baking. I asked the lady near the cart if it was just baked and could I have one. She grinned and wrote a note that she taped to it. I looked puzzled at the note and she explained the announcement to me. I guess those fortune cookies were wrong, or my luck has taken a turn for the better. I'd laugh in the face of the fortune cookies if they had one!

No comments: